Florida turpentine trade was once a booming industry. Turpentine
mills collected sap from pine trees and distilled it into two products,
one being turpentine and the other known as pitch or "naval
stores." Turpentine had many uses, such as a cleaning solvent
and some medicinal purposes. The pitch was used primarily as a sealing
tar for wooden ship planks to make their seams relatively waterproof.
here are the images of the worker's quarters of one such mill, located
near West Tocoi, Florida. It contained approximately seven units
at three rooms per unit. The "company store" was located
at the far end of the building and provided company workers with
the bare necessities of life. Workers were paid with company currency,
which ensured their dependency on the company wares. This structure
was reportedly built in the 1930's and the turpentine company ceased
operations in 1944.
TO MAIN PAGE
on the smaller "thumbnail" to the right to view the larger
picture, then click on the large picture to cycle through them all.
All images are yours to download, print-out and share.