30, 2012, MIDDLEBURG, FL.
- More than 20 martial artists who train at Middleburg Martial Arts
competed during The World Tang Soo Do Associations World Championship
(WTSDA) held in Greensboro, NC. More than 1,600 competitors vied for
medals at the 14th WTSDA Championship event, held every two years.
Representatives from 34 countries gathered for the tournament. Master
Jan Lappin, fourth-degree black belt and head of Middleburg Martial
attended this years event.
am proud of all 22 of our competitors, said Lappin. We
were competing against the best in the World and I am thrilled that
our studio won 16 medals.
following is a list of medal winners:
· Joey Lappin 2nd Sparring, 3rd Weapons
· Jarrett Manzi 2nd Weapon, 3rd Sparring
· Anne Bono 3rd Weapons, 2nd Sparring
· Johnny Chiovaro 2nd Forms, 3rd Sparring
· Dot Blanchett 1st Weapons, 3rd Forms
· Brian Gourlay 3rd Sparring
· Taylor Nolan 3rd Weapons
· Kimber Griffin 1st Sparring
· Kelby Griffin 1st Sparring
· Sarah Smith 2nd Sparring
· Kayla Smith 3rd Sparring
years Championship had a somber tone and a very special meaning.
The Association lost its founder, Grandmaster Jae C. Shin, just
11 days prior to the events commencement. With heavy hearts,
the Championship got underway on Friday, July 20. On Sunday, July
22, the group celebrated the grand opening of the new World Headquarters
in Burlington, NC. After the ribbon-cutting ceremony, a memorial
service for Grandmaster Shin was held. There were thousands of students
and their families in attendance.
row; L-R Kelby Griffin, Strider Bono
2nd row; L-R Taylor Nolan, Dot Blanchett, Kimber Griffin, Kayla Smith,
Mara Bono, Johnny Chiovaro
3rd row; L-R Sarah Smith, Mathew Ranck, Master Lappin, Anne Bono,